Dr.Soundharyaa Nagaraj Chennai India
FAQs on various stages of pregnancy
Are you pregnant for first time?Or Planning for pregnancy?This is for you.
This article answers you various question and doubts you face during your pregnancy.
1. My Urine pregnancy test is positive, what should I do next?
Well, Congrats! This test works according to a particular hormone in your body. For further confirmation visit your near by doctor/gynaecologist.
2. Why do I need to take folic acid only?
Folic Acid is a form of vitamin that is necessary for baby's initial growth.Avoid other medicines for first 14 weeks because it affects the development of the baby.
3. What should I do if I fall sick?
Even for minor ailments consult the nearby doctor or your gynaecologist,don't medicate yourself.
4. Can I travel during pregnancy?
Yes,you can travel upto 34 weeks of pregnancy.Travel does not cause abortion.Long travel might cause back aches and dehydration. But touring is not advisable.
5. Is bed rest needed during early pregnancy?
No,Not at all! Day to day household activities can be done. Heavy weight lifting should be avoided. Complete bed rest can cause complications in your pregnancy.
6. When can I feel my baby moving?
You can start feeling your baby movements from 20weeks of your pregnancy. Initially you will feel like bubble bursting/butterfly like movements.
7. What is NT scan? Why it is important?
NT scan is a mandatory screening scan for all pregnant mothers, during their 11-14 weeks of pregnancy, no accurate results if it is done before or beyond this period. NT scan is a technique to rule out Down's syndrome (down's syndrome is associated with mental retardation).It is so important because normally some chromosomal abnormalities lead to abortion but this syndrome does not lead to abortion and will lead to growth of abnormal baby.
9. What if my NT scan is positive?
Consult your gynaecologist for further confirmation test/procedures.
10. What exercise is recommended during pregnancy?
Walking for 30 minutes is sufficient during pregnancy.
11. How much weight gain is ideal in pregnancy?
It should be between 12 to 14kg, 1.5 to 2 kg in first and 3 months and 2kg per month after 3rd month till delivery.
12. Is it normal to have reduced blood pressure in pregnancy?
It is physiologically normal to have lesser BP during pregnancy.
13. Is it normal to have leg swelling during pregnancy?
It is okay to have leg swelling until you become hypertensive.
14. Does dark coloured food affect my baby's skin colour?
No, not at all! Your baby's colour is purely genetic.
15. What should be my sleeping position during pregnancy?
Till 20weeks of pregnancy sleeping position does not matter, after 20 weeks your not advised to sleep supine, you should sleep either left or right side. Sleeping supine reduces blood flow to your baby after 20 weeks.
16. Any exercise recommended for ease the normal delivery?
Butterfly yoga position is recommended to ease the head fixing prior to delivery. Walking is the best excersice, 20 minutes a day is enough. Exercising helps your muscle power. Mainly the mental preparation to go through labour is very important now a days.
17. what is normal frequency in foetal movements?
There is no specific frequency about movements upto 32 weeks of pregnancy.After 32 weeks, there will be coordinated movements.6 movements in 2 hours period is considered okay. You can watch upto 3 times a day for baby movements.
18. Can I apply pain killer gel for my backache?
Pain killer ointments and gel are strictly restricted as it reduces the water around the baby.
19. Why am I developing frequent pain in my pelvic bone, towards my due date?
It is normal towards the due date as the foetal head/presenting part starts fixing in the pelvic bone.
20. How to identify my labor pain?
You will develop menstural cramps like pains, comes in regular interval, increases in intensity as time goes on. May be associated with bloody mucus or only mucus discharge.
Enjoy all the changes you undergo in pregnancy while awaiting for your little one,All the best!